Jangri Recipe: New Year Special!

Before I get to the recipe, I would like to extend my sincere thanks to each and every one who visited my space, read and tried the recipes. I wanted to express my gratitude and love to those who left comments on my writing and also to those who strolled by my blog to see "What did she write today?" January 1st 2014, it was then I decided to post my first piece of writing at this space. Though I wrote, I did not have the courage to post it to public media, because I thought my writing was not up to the mark. However, I rolled up my sleeves and posted it to your sight. One post after the other, I slowly started gaining confidence. I have never written anything for myself. I wrote for my profession but with lot of help. When I started writing, back in early 2000, a pro in the field commented, "Your writing is awful. It is not articulated, no sense of grammar and it is a torture to read what you write".  A timid and naive Sharmila, then, started weeping. I did not take immediate step to correct my writing. I let it loose. Years later, I felt communication, both speaking and writing, is absolutely important to convey and achieve things. I may not be a pro now, but I believe that it has improved a lot, and I got appreciation from people whom I consider great writers! Thanks to the grueling GMAT verbal sessions. They drilled me thoroughly!! They drove me crazy for almost 2 years, at the end of which my grammar improved tremendously. I am still learning, but I don't make much mistakes grammatically. I always wanted to write, express and be clear in my thoughts. I see the same loop revisiting: "You will achieve what you want to, if not today, some day". It is all because of your encouragement, likes and comments that I have a blog alive. Thank you very much!

The past year has been a happening year for me. A change of place, a new and satisfying job for my partner, new people and mainly many expeditions, debacles and achievements that made me stronger and hardier! "Hope" is a panacea for every negative thing we experience in life. It is "Hope" that makes us resilient and energetic every time. With lots of hope and good wishes in this New Year, I bring you this sweet recipe. 

Called as "Jangri" or "Imarti" by the whole of India, I was introduced to this colorful sweet as "Jilepi". My first and oldest memory for this sweet dates back to my chithi's (mother's sister) wedding in 1983 (I was 3 and a half). Clad in a beautiful honey colored silk frock with a maroon peter pan collar, I thoroughly enjoyed the wedding. The two most impressive things about the wedding for a three and a half year old were: the orange colored glossy sweet and the velvety red slippers my aunt was wearing.  I signed a pact with my appachi (mother's father, not TVS apachi!!!!) that he will get me those slippers as soon as possible. He bought me a pair the same evening. Love him!

I had a sweet tooth as a child. I gulped kilos and kilos of sweet without hesitation. I ate "Jilepi" limitlessly in my chithi's wedding. Till date, my love to this shiny sweet did not fade a bit. I love it! When I tried it 6 years ago in my cute, little "pigeon hole" apartment in West Philly, it was a super flop! Ha.... I was not intimidated. I tried it again, and it came out fine. Every time, shape was the issue. Taste was absolutely brilliant! Yesterday, I wanted to prepare it after the kids went to sleep. As usual, the latter did not happen, and so I went ahead to set the journey amidst all chaos. 

Here is what you need:

1. Urad dal - 1 and a half cups
2. Sugar - three cups
3. Rose Essence - Flavor it as per your tolerance level
4. Orange food color - A pinch. I used the Wilton orange food dye that is commonly used to make cake fondants and butter cream icing. Michaels has tons of it.
5. Cardamom Powder - Flavor it accordingly
6. Icing bag and No. 10 round, icing tip.
7. Corn Flour - This is to give that crispness to the sweet. You can use rice flour as well. One of the two!
8. Oil to fry

Method:

1. Soak urad dal for four to five hours and grind it in a stone grinder with very little water. Just keep sprinkling enough water for smooth grinding. The batter shouldn't be too loose or too tight either. 

2. Add the corn flour and food color to the batter and mix well with your hand.



3. Make a sticky (not the string consistency) sugar syrup by adding three cups of sugar and 3/4th cup of water. When it comes to rolling boil, reduce the flame, add cardamom and rose essence. Keep it a bit warm to avoid crystallizing. You can squeeze in a quarter lemon to avoid crystallizing, but I felt it could add sourness, and hence did not go for it.



4. Fit in the icing tip to the plastic bag and start making whirls in the oil. Practice it on a plate if you are not comfortable. If you are good at icing and piping, it is a piece of cake. Thanks to those Wilton classes at Michaels!

Don't worry about the shapes. It will not come easily. The first time I did it, I made the tamil letter "இ". Doesn't it look like "Jangri"? I started with this and later tried the professional one. I have still not mastered it. It will take time. Lots of practice is the secret of life and secret of good "Jilepi"!




5. When you pipe the batter in the oil, keep the flame low. Fry it until it is slightly brittle. 

6. Transfer the jilepis to the sugar syrup. Coat it on all sides, nooks and corners. Leave it on a plate.

7. I didn't even wait to get cold. As usual, I hogged immediately!



There is no "the way" to make anything in the world. There is only "your way". It goes well for recipes and for life. Play around a bit. You will come out successfully. All food blogs provide only guidelines. You are the master. This is my experience!

Hope you enjoyed reading my "Jilepi" journey and my recipe. Wishing you all good health, happiness and prosperity in this New Year! Thank you all once again for your continuing support and encouragement!

Comments

  1. wow tasty recipes
    Unnatisilks 2016 pure handloom kanchi cotton sarees,online cotton sarees,online womens wear,online unnatisilks designer wear, online party kanchi cotton sarees ,online celebrity wear ,online party wear,online wedding wear

    Corporate rich kanchi cotton sarees,these are apt for weddings, parties, casual and corporate wear

    For purchasing for traditional kanchi cotton saris, please visit this Link: https://www.unnatisilks.com/sarees-online/by-popular-variety-name-sarees/kanchi-cotton-sarees.html

    Tissue silk sarees shop plz visit this Link: http://www.unnatisilks.com/sarees-online/by-popular-variety-name-sarees/tissue-silk-sarees.html

    Latest party wear salwar kameez online,please visit this link: http://www.unnatisilks.com/salwar-kameez-online/by-occasion-salwar-kameez/party-wear-salwar-kameez.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tha ki ta - tha ka dhi mi: My Dance Journey

A Worthy Attempt to a Suave Beauty!

Rasam : The Essence of a Southern Indian Meal!