My Little Scholar

I have two reasons to write this post: I want to share the joy, and I want to register a milestone in my baby's life. A year ago, I was not a so happy mommy as I am today. I was really worried about the fact that my little boy was showing less interest in learning something through a formal education system. I couldn't understand the problem. I spent more time with him, sat down with him for longer hours, took many initiatives to drive this little wanderer. I was driving nearly 20 miles twice a week to take him to Kumon class. I thought that at least by looking at other kids he would get some interest in learning what is in a book. I took him to an Indian language class just to make him comfortable learning, listening and developing a longer attention span. Well, I did not see much for the efforts I had put. First thing, I am from India, and you know what that means when it comes to education. The effect was there, but I was so conscious not to overrule the rationale behind a structured, kid-friendly education! Many told me that he will be fine in a year, and many even felt that I am comparing him with other kids! However, I did not pay heed to their comments because I was clear as to what I wanted. Creating interest! Yes, creating interest was a big challenge. Forget about making him sit in a place, he didn't even want to hold a paper in his hand. He was also into all the cartoons, and it took a long time for us to reduce the effect of those cartoon characters on him.

The first thing I did was to reduce the screen time considerably. I should confess that I had to turn on the TV, for I was caught among many chores in the past one year. From attending courses to giving job interviews, I did it all with my children by my side. I remember talking to recruiters by shutting myself in the bathroom, standing in the stall shower! That was the only place that was less noisy, but they would start banging after a few minutes. I knew that I was helpless, but I waited for the storm in my life to get over. Finally, it subsided, and when I was given options in the new place to enroll him in a quality program, I chose Montessori education. The school I am talking about is AMI accredited, possesses Montessori materials and the teachers are trained in a Montessori way. I really felt blessed when I left him there on the first day. Week-after-week passed by, and he started developing interest very slowly in the curriculum. I used to trouble Natalie (Ms. Xander) every week asking about his progress. Well, progress is next! I first wanted to know whether he is sitting in a place. The school gave me a totally different perspective of a parent's approach to the child. I slightly had that inclination before, but, unfortunately, I was caught in a place that did not nurture a growing parent! My views were different, my approaches were different, my ambitions were different, and my style was totally different. There were only a handful of people who understood what I was talking about. I definitely needed a change of place then.

Today, after a slow and steady phase of growth, I and my Baby boy stand tall with measurable success in our lives. He shows interest in learning. He wants to write. He comes to me with a pen and a book to show me what he wrote! It may sound very trivial, but it is worth celebrating as a parent. I feel very proud, and I want to engross myself in every little joy of my life. I like the way he has worked on his phonetics. He spells the word thoroughly and makes sure that he did not miss a sound! He reads too. My boy has been very reticent so far, and I am glad that he is breaking that hard shell around him to explore the world. Reading and writing are two important tasks that will last forever in one's life, and a large amount of things we learn comes from what we read and how we communicate.

My child is in Butler school. He grows plants, raises chickens, feeds horses, wanders in the wood, rolls in the snow, does Yoga, zip-lining and rock climbing, celebrates festivals from Diwali to Hanukkah, cracks jokes, cares for his friends and writes & reads. This is clearly the order of activities I was expecting. It may sound fancy, but this is what he was missing before. I can't believe that growing in a farm-like environment could ever be considered fancy, but it is these days, mainly in large cities.

The new environment has changed him a lot in a positive way. I grew up close to nature, and I am glad that my children are exposed to an almost similar environment. We are growing, I as a parent and he as a child!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tha ki ta - tha ka dhi mi: My Dance Journey

A Worthy Attempt to a Suave Beauty!

A memory to cherish...