A Guest Post For "My Life and Spice"

In summer of 2007, just four months after we first arrived in the US, my husband and I were at Penns landing, celebrating India day. That was the first ever-big Indian gathering I attended since my arrival in the US. I was gazing at the stalls, the colorful Bollywood dance and the number of Indians who thronged along the riverbank. I liked it, and was lost in the noise and the mixedness of the event. I did not know anyone there, but got to know a couple of them with whom I am still in touch. But, least did I expect that I would be writing an article for a person whom I happened to notice there, but really got to know and interact much later! I saw this beaming face carrying loads of smile and radiance, walking around. Then I noticed her huge tummy, which she carried at ease. Till then, I thought pregnancy was a tough thing, and there will be more of grimaces throughout than smiles. Her fast-walk, smile, radiance and confidence attracted me. No wonder why Baby P has that sweet, all-time smiling face! I wanted to know who she was, but people whom I knew did not seem to know her, so I kept quiet. I didn’t think much about her after that, until she showed up again with a glee on her face in the work place. She was wearing a magenta colored top with jeans and carrying the same radiant smile. I was alone when I saw her passing by and talking to someone whom I did not know. I missed her again.

Later, much later, I happened to teach Bharatanatyam to a cute little girl with a beautiful smile. I taught dance movements to her for a Tamil song. The little girl always came with another friend for practice, and so I never got to meet her mother. Finally, on the day of performance, I see this much familiar face come to me and say, “Thanks so much Sharmila”. I remember a couple of other incidences when I and she happened to be a part of an event, a gathering or some social meet-up, but I never got to introduce myself to her. But, later I realized that the world is so small and round that I got to meet the person who once was just familiar by face. Trust me, I did not know her name for a long time.


I am happy to write this article for a great acquaintance then and a friend now. You don’t have to know a person very well to start being a friend, but that little spark, a short moment is enough to make you realize “Aha, she thinks the same way!” I find that matching frequency in her, and I am sure we will go for days together when we start to talk. All the above information is new to her even. Before I even started writing a blog, I visited her blog without knowing that it was her. I literally had one phone conversation, and a short chat in an Indian gathering with her. I am so glad to write this for a guest post in your blog, Deepika! I am sure you must be held up with mixed feelings when you read this!

Please find the link to the guest post on her page...




http://mylifeandspice.blogspot.com/2014/04/dee-day-1-buttermilk-by-sharmila.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tha ki ta - tha ka dhi mi: My Dance Journey

A memory to cherish...

A Worthy Attempt to a Suave Beauty!